Flu season is ramping up. As the weather gets colder and people start spending more time indoors, flu viruses thrive and spread more easily from person to person. The CDC estimates that in the United States, between 5% and 20% of the population gets the flu every year, leading to tens of thousands of flu-related hospitalizations and deaths.
You can help fortify your immune system by incorporating certain ingestible essential oils into your daily regimen. While topical oils like eucalyptus and lavender can provide symptomatic relief, ingesting antioxidant and antimicrobial oils can provide protective effects from within.
Some of the most potent ingestible oils to take over the next few months include oregano, cinnamon, garlic, coconut, and cat’s claw. These rare and powerful plant extracts contain compounds that can help fight viruses, bacteria, and inflammation – all of which are key to avoiding the flu or shortening its duration.
Oregano oil has strong antiviral properties to ward off flu viruses before they take hold, while cinnamon is a powerful antioxidant that can help regulate blood sugar and reduce inflammation. Garlic oil contains allicin, a compound with antiviral, antibacterial and immune-boosting effects. Coconut oil contains lauric acid which the body converts to monolaurin, a nutrient that can destroy lipid-coated viruses like influenza. Finally, cat’s claw is an adaptogenic herb that supports immune response and respiratory health.
In this article, we’ll highlight 5 essential and ingestible oils that you absolutely need to incorporate into your daily wellness regimen over the next 4 months as we head into the heart of flu season. Using these powerful plant extracts can help boost your immune system, clear sinuses, ease aches and pains, improve sleep, and more – all benefits that support your body’s natural defenses against the influenza virus.
Avoid Doing These Things During Flu Season That Hinder Your Bodies Immune System
- Sleep Deprivation – Lack of sufficient sleep deprives your body of the rest it needs to regenerate and fight off viruses. Aim for 7-9 hours of sleep per night.
- Stress – Chronic stress and anxiety weaken your immune response. Make time for relaxing activities and self-care.
- Poor Diet – Eating too much processed food and sugar while lacking nutrients from fruits and vegetables weakens immunity. Focus on whole, nutrient-dense foods.
- Dehydration – Staying hydrated is crucial for proper immune function. Be sure to drink enough water and fluids each day.
- Excess Alcohol – Heavy or frequent alcohol consumption can impair immune cells and inflammation response. Moderate your alcohol intake.
- Smoking – Smoking damages lungs and restricts proper immune cell function. Avoid tobacco exposure.
- Physical Inactivity – Regular exercise helps circulate immune cells and antibodies throughout the body. Stay active with at least 30 minutes of exercise daily.
- Social Isolation – Human connection helps regulate nervous system and immune function. Spend time interacting with loved ones in person or virtually.
The more you support your overall physical and mental health, the better equipped your immune system will be to fight off viruses and infections this flu season. Focus on rest, nutrition, hydration, exercise, stress relief, and social connection.
5 Essential Oils Can Support Immunity & Health During Flu Season:
- The carvacrol and thymol compounds make oregano oil a powerful antiviral and antibacterial. It can help prevent flu virus cells from replicating.
- Oregano oil promotes white blood cell production and activity. This boosts the immune system’s ability to fight off infections.
- It contains vitamins A, C, E plus antioxidants that strengthen the immune response.
- Oregano oil helps thin mucus secretions in the sinuses and lungs to open airways. This provides relief from congestion.
- Has been shown in studies to fight influenza viruses as well as other infectious bacteria and fungi.
- The polyphenol antioxidants in cinnamon reduce inflammation that can compromise immunity.
- Supports healthy blood sugar already in normal range which is key to proper immune cell function.
- Improves digestion and gut health which comprises up to 80% of the immune system.
- Allicin compound blocks enzymes that infectious bacteria and viruses need to thrive.
- Enhances recruitment of macrophages – immune cells that kill bacteria and infected cells.
- Sulphur-containing compounds in garlic improve antioxidant levels in the blood.
- Stimulates coughing to help clear mucus and provides relief from chest congestion.
- Lauric acid is anti-inflammatory and antifungal. The body converts it to antiviral monolaurin.
- Has natural antibacterial properties; infections can weaken immunity and prolong flu.
- Soothes sore throats, dry coughs, and swollen nasal passages.
- Provides a quick boost of energy to counter flu fatigue.
- Oxindole alkaloids enhance immune cell function and communication.
- Quinovic acid supports healthy inflammation response to infections.
- Improves white blood cell count and phagocytosis – the engulfing of viruses and bacteria.
- Cat’s claw is an adaptogen to help relieve flu stress on the body.
How Should I Ingest These Oils?
Get enhanced immune support this flu season with Radiate 21 – an essential oil blend that brings together the wisdom of Ayurvedic, Chinese, and Amazonian botanical medicine. This potent mix includes over 20 ingredients like oregano, cinnamon, garlic, cat’s claw, and clove that have been used for thousands of years to boost immunity and combat infections.
The carvacrol in oregano, allicin in garlic, and lauric acid in coconut oil have powerful antiviral and antibacterial properties to help fight off the flu virus. The quinovic acid in cat’s claw improves immune cell response. Cinnamon, camu camu, and suma are packed with antioxidants to reduce harmful inflammation. This herbal synergy provides layered immune defense.
Beyond immunity, Radiate 21 promotes overall wellness with ingredients that aid detoxification, gut health, nutrient absorption, and protection from EMF-related oxidation. Chrysanthemum and clove enhance lymphatic drainage to remove toxins. Mint, lemon, and neem stimulate digestion and strengthen the gut lining. EMF-protective plants like cedar and geranium combat the immune-weakening effects of environmental stressors.
By bringing together time-tested botanicals from around the world, Radiate 21 allows you to benefit from ancient wisdom in a single, super-concentrated formula. Just 1-2 capsules per day helps fortify your body from the inside out during the challenging winter months. Harness the power of global plant medicine with this comprehensive essential oil blend this flu season.
This flu season, be proactive about supporting your immune system naturally with essential oils. Ancient botanical extracts like oregano, cinnamon, garlic, cat’s claw, and cloves have been used for millennia to combat viruses, bacteria, and inflammation – exactly what’s needed to avoid getting the flu or reduce its severity and duration.
While topical essential oils can provide symptom-relieving effects, ingesting carefully diluted oils ensures their antiviral, antimicrobial compounds reach your cells internally to offer layered immune defense. Combining multiple time-tested botanicals allows you to benefit from herbal synergy in concentrated formulas like Radiate 21.
Be sure to take proper precautions by diluting oils appropriately before ingesting, and consult your doctor, especially if taking medications or if you have existing health conditions. But once deemed safe for you, regularly taking potent plant-based oils this flu season arms your body with the historical wisdom of traditional wellness practices across the globe.
Along with adequate sleep, a nutritious diet, physical activity, stress relief, and proper hydration, immune-boosting essential oils should be an integral part of your wellness routine throughout the winter. Take advantage of natural viral and bacterial fighters to stay healthy and avoid the toll of flu season. With the power of plants on your side, you’ll be well equipped to defend against unwelcome germs.