Hydration is a two-step process and it took me years to fully understand the depth of hydration and what was needed by our body to really stay hydrated properly. The difference between intracellular and extracellular hydration, as well as having your body develop the 4th phase of water to properly flush fluid through your lymphatic system. This journey led me down the road to researching different minerals, electrolytes and solutions which led me to discover essential electrolytes by the company paleovalley.
Essential Electrolytes By PaleoValley: The Review
I have used many mineral and trace mineral products over the years and I have found that many of them are low quality. Compnaies like liquid IV add artificial flavors and questionable ingredients. I then discovered others like LMNT and discovered that this product had regular table salt in it! Which has way less of a mineral profile as well as could possibly be bleached as a lot of table salt is.
I had heard about the company paleovalley and loved many of their products. Their beef jerky sticks are delicious, their superfood bars are delicious, their vitamin C is a whole food based vitamin C supplement and their Neuroeffect is one of my favorite nootropics in the market. Side note, I have found that Qualia Night and Neuroeffect by Paleovalley have influenced my brain health positively more than any other nootropics. Healthycell and Trubrain have some great Nootropics also.
I had experienced a wide array of products from Paleovalley and have always had a good experience. When I discovered the electrolytes I thought that these may be worth a shot. I got the lemon-lime, orange and watermelon flavor. When I received them I noticed that the flavor was most similar to LMNT, which was salty yet sweet. I absolutely LOVE the flavor and have shared them with friends and family and everyone who tries the products really loves the flavor.
What Do Essential Electrolytes Include? What Minerals?
Sodium – the most abundant electrolyte in the body, plays a critical role in helping the cells maintain the right balance of fluid, and absorb nutrients efficiently.
Potassium – works alongside sodium to create balance, and is vital for heart function10
Magnesium – Vital for brain and muscle health and energy production
Calcium – used to control muscles, transmit signals in nerves, manage heart rhythm, and more
Plus, Iron – Thanks to the use of natural sea salt and seaweed, iron is present in Essential Electrolytes in trace amounts. It is essential for transporting oxygen throughout the body, cell growth, development, and normal body functions.
Essential Electrolytes vs. LMNT Review
LMNT is an electrolyte drink mix developed by the company Elemental Labs. The ingredients in LMNT may vary slightly depending on the specific flavor, as they offer different flavor options. However, here is a general overview of the key ingredients commonly found in LMNT electrolyte drink mixes:
- Sodium: An essential electrolyte that helps maintain fluid balance, supports nerve function, and aids in nutrient absorption. The problem here is that they use the cheapest form of salt, regular table salt. Which is the least hydrating and potentially bleached salt.
- Potassium: Another important electrolyte involved in maintaining proper hydration, supporting heart function, and assisting in muscle contractions.
- Magnesium: Essential for various bodily functions, including muscle and nerve function, energy production, and bone health.
- Citric Acid: Often used for flavor and as a preservative. This is another red flag ingredient, as citric acid can feed mold and cause other issues.
- Stevia: A natural sweetener that provides sweetness without added sugars or calories. This may or may not be a problematic ingredient based on their source of stevia, but based on their choosing of salt they may actually use erythritol which isn’t true stevia. I get my organic stevia from Omica Organics, which I get a butterscotch, vanilla and sweet blossom flavor you can find by clicking here. Use the discount code: VFDF7M to get 10% off. These are amazing!
- Natural Flavors: These can vary depending on the flavor of the LMNT product and are used to enhance taste. We really don’t know what natural flavors they use, which is another red flag for LMNT.
What Does Essential Electrolytes Do For Your Hydration? Health & Body?
The overall rating and score for essential electrolytes based on 320 reviews is 4.8 out of 5 stars. You can see here: