Because our world is more connected to technology and digital devices than ever before it’s easy to get caught in the trap of overthinking, overanalyzing and getting what some call ‘paralysis by analysis’ simply because you have all this information at your fingertips at any given time. It can become challenging to disconnect from digital devices and the sea of information on these digital devices.
You can keep tabs on someone’s relationship status, you can keep tabs on your finances in real time. You can see what’s going on in the lives of your friends and family in social media. You can constantly scare yourself with the new news of a ‘new variant’ or some other catastrophe going on in the world. With all of this information a bit of peace of mind and clarity are valuable!
Overthinkers tend to get caught in the details a bit more than their mental brainpower wants to commit. Because of this overthinking can lead to a variety of paths that lead you away from your actual goals, and from the components of life that make you happy.
5 Signs You Are An Overthinker
- They Aren’t As Crazy as They Seem
Overthinkers may seem a bit crazy at times but they’re actually not that crazy. They just worry too much. Anxiety and a worrisome mentality usually have the best of them. The best thing to do in this situation is slow down, focus on nature or a beautiful sight, breathe and focus on what is working right in your life. Re-shift your focus and bring it back into the present moment where you truly are alright. You have to break the cycle of replaying all scenarios in your head over and over. The event is over, breathe and focus on being here now with the rest of us!
- Overthinkers are very remorseful when they mess upOverthinkers overanalyze all situations and even the smallest mistake can cause them to go in a downward spiral asking themselves ‘how did I do that’? or, how can do better? How can I make it right. You can rest assure that if an overthinker is remorseful and apologizes to you, they really do mean it.
- Overthinkers Have a Lot Of Fun!They are fun to be around and because they overthink they can find ways to make even the most boring environments fun, creative, exciting and stimulating!
- They Have Difficulty Making DecisionsPosting a picture or status on social media for an overthinker can take hours while the same thing will take a few minutes for others. They have difficulty progressing with decisions in life because they are constantly analyzing the outcomes of each scenario. The problem is that even with that foresight it’s not 100% accurate. Sure, it could be close but you’ll never know until you try. Don’t get caught in paralysis by analysis.
- Overthinkers Want To EscapeThey love to spend time with people that they can get lost with and forget their worries. Someone like them, a partner, a friend, a lover. Overthinkers are plagued with an internal dialogue that is trying to peel back the layers of every situation and see it from every angle. To ‘escape’ is to get out of their mind and this can be done anywhere.
Top 3 Tips For Overthinkers To Return To Homeostasis
Tip #1: Get out of your head and into your body. It’s easy to overanalyze something and be stuck in your head when you’re still doing nothing. If you move and get into your body a whole new world opens up. Go for a walk, or a run, go for a bike ride or a swim. Do something physical and get into your body. This will shift the energy from thinking and brainpower to your body and muscle power! You might just get in better shape too because of it!
Tip #2: Make sure to breathe properly and deeply. Overthinkers tend to breathe incorrectly because they get too caught up in the details their posture worsens and they breathe shallow through their chest. This is a stressful way to believe and activates the sympathetic nervous system. Simply relax your shoulders, open your chest and breathe slowly. Focus on breathing slowly and calmly and you will keep anxiety and the chasing of that rabbit hole at bay!
Tip #3: Find a skill or hobby that requires a lot of brain power. If you have an active mind the best thing that you can do is to take all that energy that goes into overthinking about the many layers of life and direct it with focus, intention and attention into something that yields a positive result for you. Maybe it’s learning a new skill. Maybe it’s creating something with your hands in your body that requires both mental brainpower but also physical engagement with the item such as woodworking or painting. Whatever it may be, find a way to channel your focus and use it in a positive way. I have found that a product called Qualia Focus is very helpful for me to focus, stay on track and dedicate my brain power into one productive direction instead of scattered in multiple areas that do not benefit my life.
It’s important to understand how overthinking occurs. The things that trigger it, the psychology behind it and what to do about it. Here’s a nice list of insightful and helpful books on amazon for people who are overthinkers.