With cold and flu season underway, many are searching for ways to stay healthy and avoid getting sick. Dr. Barbara O’Neil, a naturopathic physician, recommends harnessing the power of garlic to create a “flu-bomb” that can help fight off illnesses this winter.
In her new book, O’Neil shares how the antimicrobial and antiviral properties of garlic can be utilized to create a simple but potent mixture that supports the immune system. By combining fresh garlic cloves, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and other ingredients, O’Neil’s garlic flu-bomb packs a powerful punch against invading germs and viruses.
O’Neil explains how the active compounds in garlic, especially allicin, possess antibiotic effects without the downsides of traditional antibiotics. The flu-bomb ingredients work synergistically to provide antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal benefits to help ward off infection.
As cold and flu viruses spread rapidly in the winter months, O’Neil’s garlic flu-bomb offers a natural and accessible DIY preventative and remedy. O’Neil provides the recipe and instructions for making this immunity-boosting mixture at home, as well as tips for incorporating more raw garlic into your diet all winter long.
Garlic As An Antibiotic
Garlic is a member of the onion family and can be quite strong depending on how you use it. Here are some key reasons why garlic acts as a natural antibiotic:
- Allicin – Garlic contains a compound called allicin which has potent antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties. Allicin is released when garlic cloves are crushed or chopped.
- Antimicrobial Effects – Research shows that allicin blocks enzymes in bacteria, viruses, and fungi that enable them to cause infection. This disrupts their ability to thrive and spread.
- Immune Boosting – Compounds in garlic support the immune system. Garlic enhances the activity of immune cells like macrophages and lymphocytes which help the body fight infection.
- Anti-Inflammatory – Garlic has anti-inflammatory effects that can help reduce inflammation caused by bacterial or viral infections. This speeds up recovery time.
- Broad Spectrum – Unlike antibiotics which target specific bacteria, garlic has broad spectrum antibiotic abilities against a wide range of pathogenic microbes including bacteria, viruses, protozoa, and fungi.
- Reduced Resistance – Pathogens are less likely to become resistant to garlic compared to antibiotics because of garlic’s multiple mechanisms of action.
- Availability – Garlic is widely available and a cost-effective natural remedy compared to prescription antibiotics. It can be consumed regularly for preventive benefits.
In summary, garlic is a potent natural antibiotic due to its active compound allicin and other beneficial properties that fight infection, reduce inflammation, and support immune function. It is a broad spectrum agent that offers antibiotic effects without the downsides of antibiotics.
How To Make A Garlic “Flu Bomb”
If you want to use garlic by itself as an antibiotic, Dr O’Neil recommends taking up to 4 cloves a day. It can also be used in a recipe she calls a “Flu Bomb” that will help speed up the healing process and clear up symptoms to most colds, flu’s, and viruses. Drink this 4 times daily until your symptoms start to clear.
- Fresh Garlic – 1-2 cloves crushed
- Fresh Ginger – 1/4 teaspoon grated
- 1 Fresh Lemon – Juiced and seeds removed
- Raw Honey – 1 teaspoon (avoid using silver spoon as it kills beneficial microbes, wooden spoon preferred)
- Eucalyptus Oil – 1 Drop
(Get High Quality Eucalyptus Oil Here)
- Cayenne Pepper – 1/4 teaspoon or less to taste
(Get Your High Quality Cayenne Pepper Here)
- Hot Water – 1/2 Cup
Add all ingredients above to the hot water and stir with wooden spoon. Do not chew the garlic or ginger, you’ll want to “shoot” this down quickly, but be careful not to burn yourself. This concoction will treat pnemonia, bronchitis, asthma, the flu, or any other sinus issues or respritory problems.
This flu bomb will bring you relief for about 4 hours. You can make a larger quantity of all ingredients listed above, omitting the hot water, and store it on your counter, adding a spoonful of the ingredients to the hot water as you are ready to take it. Dr O’Neil recommended taking this concoction 3-4 times a day until your symptoms are gone.
She also recommends taking this with food, right before a hearty bowl of soup, as ingesting on an empty stomach can cause a tummy ache to some with sensitive stomachs.
As cold and flu season ramps up, many are looking for accessible and natural ways to stay healthy. Dr. O’Neil’s garlic flu-bomb provides an effective home remedy that harnesses garlic’s potent antimicrobial powers. By combining fresh garlic with other natural ingredients, you can create a mixture that helps fend off invading bacteria and viruses before they take hold.
O’Neil explains how compounds like allicin give garlic broad spectrum antibiotic abilities without the downsides of traditional antibiotics. Garlic has multiple mechanisms of action against pathogens, helps reduce inflammation, and supports immune function.
While the flu shot and proper hygiene practices are still recommended, O’Neil’s flu-bomb can provide additional preventative support this winter. The recipe is simple, inexpensive, and customizable based on ingredients you have on hand. Slow cooking the garlic brings out its full antibiotic potential.
As antibiotic resistance continues to grow, turning to nature’s remedies like garlic is wise. Adding more raw garlic to soups, dips, and dishes can help keep your immune system primed. O’Neil’s book provides insight on how to maximize garlic’s antibiotic powers to stay healthy through cold and flu season and beyond.