Your thyroid gland is very important for health and wellbeing yet often overlooked. We’ve all heard the term hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism but what does all this actually mean? Your thyroid is responsible for and crucial in playing a role in metabolism as well as producing thyroid hormones. What do these hormones produced by the thyroid actually do for your body? Great question.
These thyroid hormones help to regulate your weight, energy levels, your temperature as well as the growth of your hair, skin and nails. Thyroid hormones also influence the gastrointestinal tract, bones, the nervous system and even the heart. The thyroid gland is very important and the thyroid hormones produced by it have a very important job for regulation and health of the body. It’s important to note that most people that have thyroid health issues either have an underactive or overactive thyroid. What does this mean? These are labeled hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism. Let’s explore these further..
Hypothyroidism vs. Hyperthyroidism
- Hypothyroidism is also known as underactive thyroid – This happens when there is not enough thyroxine, a thyroid hormone that is produced for the body’s needs. This is the most common thyroid disorder. If your body is cold more often than warm you’re more likely on the hypothyroidism end of the spectrum.
- Hyperthyroidism is also known as an overactive thyroid – This happens when there is too much thyroxine that s produced for the body’s needs. This typically makes people warmer than most people more often than not.You may notice that hypothyroidism (an underactive thyroid) makes people cold more often while hyperthyroidism (an overactive thyroid) makes people warm more often. If you’re colder or warmer than most people most of the time it is safe to assume which you are. However, it is also important ot know that this is not medical advice. You need to speak to a health professional. You can also get your thyroid hormone levels tested ot know for sure.
What If I Do Not Know Where My Thyroid Health is?
With that being shared there are foods, herbs and spices that are beneficial for the health of the thyroid no matter where you are on the hyper or hypothyroid spectrum. If you’re experiencing unhealthy weight levels, hair loss and body temperature changes that are confusing these are all worth paying attention to. The thyroid plays a role in all of these. The more of these challenges the face the more likely your thyroid is off and needs nutritional support.
Foods, Herbs & Spices For Thyroid Health:
- Ashwagandha: This powerful adaptogen is used in ayurvedic medicine. It is a root that benefits the health of the thyroid as well as the stress response of the body. Research done in 2019 shows that Ashwagandha is beneficial in reducing oxidative stress that effects the thyroid. It also has been shown to improve thyroid hormone levels. This powerful root also helps to reduce anxiety, stress, improve sleep, reduce inflammation and protect the brain! I get ashwagandha in my Radiate 21 Capsules everyday! Use the code gratitude to get 10% off your Radiate Immunity order. If you want straight ashwagahndha powder, it is very earthy but you can get an organic powder or liquid tincture from OmicaOrganics.com by clicking here. You can use the discount code: VFDF7M for 10% off your order.
- Ginger: Ginger is another powerful root for thyroid health as well as healthy circulation. This herb is used traditionally in ayurveda as well. This herb helps to regulate lipid and hormone levels. It is most beneficial for people that are dealing with hypothyroisim, which is an underactive thyroid once again. This would mean that you feel cold more often than not. Ginger is a powerful antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial as well. This is a great spice to add to tea and other drinks during the winter time to keep you warm and remind the body that it needs to keep producing these thyroid hormones and to circulate them throughout the body. You can get organic ginger powder from OmicaOrganics.com by clicking here. Use the discount code: VFDF7M for 10% off your order.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is yet another herb used in ayurvedic medicine. It is a powerful spice and one of the most powerful anti-inflammatory agents in nature as far as the research shows. It helps to reduce joint pain, support liver health, and acts as a neuroprotective agent to keep the brain healthier longer. Turmeric also helps to improve vascular endothelial function. This means the dilation and constriction of blood vessels is healthier. The thyroid when unhealthy can cause unhealthy strain and stress on the heart. Turmeric reminds the blood cells how to operate properly, lessening the stress on the heart. This is a very big deal as heart disease is the number one cause of death in the United States. Turmeric is also a strong anti-bacterial agent which helps to combat SIBO in the gut.
It has been found that about 50% of those that have hypothyroidism also have SIBO, so it is important to support gut health as a whole when working to heal the thyroid. You can get organic turmeric from OmicaOrganics.com by clicking here also. Use the discount code: VFDF7M for 10% off your order.And there you have it. These three herbs will support the health of your thyroid to restore healthy thyroid function and thyroid hormone production. All three of these, ashwagandha, ginger and turmeric can all be purchased from OmicaOrganics.com by clicking here. Their powders are 100% organic, and are incredibly potent.In fact, I was spending time with a friend one day and I opened a jar of turmeric from Omica Organics and my health journalist friend and myself both assessed the difference between Omica Organics turmeric and store bought turmeric and the difference was night and day. The Omica turmeric was a brighter orange color and had a much stronger smell. We realized it is a much better source for these powders, so this is where we’ve gotten them since. Click here to visit the Omica Organics store and remember to use the discount code: VFDF7M to get 10% off your order. You’ll be happy with how these nutritional powders treat your body, I’m sure!
Use these daily to support the health of your thyroid and the health of your thyroid hormones!