I love essential oils. I swear, I find out new uses for different oils a few times a week. This article, for example, is exploring exactly how to lose weight by rubbing your stomach and body with 5 specific essential oils twice a day. It sounds like an amazing self care routine that has even better benefits! Let’s dive in!
What are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are naturally occurring compounds that are extracted from the bark, leaves, stems, roots, flowers, and other parts of plants. Essential oils are concentrated oils and possess the odor and other characteristic properties of the plant.
The essential oils have an effect on the limbic system (structures in the brain that deal with emotions, memories, appetite, sleep and dreams). Also, our sense of smell has an incredibly powerful impact on our feelings. Just imagining the aroma of coffee or the sweet smell of flowers quickly peps up our mood. Human body can distinguish about 10,000 different scents.
A 2007 study done in Koreawhere two groups of post menopausal women received a one hour full body massage as treatment by the same researcher once a week for 6 weeks. Participants also massaged their own abdomen two times everyday for 5 days each week for 6 weeks. The two groups used different kinds of oil. The experimental group used 3% grapefruit oil, cypress and three other kinds of oil. The control group used grapeseed oil.
The results were in: Abdominal fat and waist circumference in the experimental group significantly decreased after aromatherapy massage compared to the control group. Body image in the experimental group was significantly better after aromatherapy massage than in the control group as well. These results suggest that Aromatherapy massage could be utilized as an effective intervention to reduce abdominal subcutaneous fat, waist circumference, and to improve body image in post-menopausal women.
5 Essential Oils for Weight Loss
Grapefruit Essential Oil
Studies have found that a 15 minute exposure to grapefruit oil three times a week reduces appetite and body weight.
- It suppresses the appetite, lowers cravings and hunger, as a result of which the stomach is easily satiated.
- It contains a compound D-limonene, which helps to increase metabolism and break down body fat.
- It supports the cleansing and improves drainage of the lymphatic system which carries nutrients between the tissues and the bloodstream. This reduces cellulite and prevents bloating.
- It is also used as detox to cleanse the body of toxins. It also reduces water retention.
Lemon Essential Oil
- Like grape fruit oil, it also boosts metabolism while suppressing appetite. It also improves digestive health.
- Helps to reduce stress. When we are under stress, our bodies release hormones that make your body store leading to significant weight gain. Plus many people tend to over-eat when we’re stressed
- As in grapefruit, lemon essential oil also contains the compound limonene which increases the body’s ability to burn fat.
- The high vitamin C content boosts collagen formation and firmness in muscles. It also fights infections, inhibits bacterial and viral growth, stops hemorrhages and increases elimination of toxins from body.
- It improves energy levels, reduces depression and uplifts mood.
Cinnamon Essential Oil
It helps regulate blood sugar and insulin levels, thereby aiding weight loss and reducing sugar cravings. When blood sugar levels are unstable, a person tends to over-eat.
- It reduces the risk of heart disease and inflammation, improves blood circulation.
- It helps to suppress appetite and boost metabolism.
- It reduces food cravings and improves digestion.
Ginger Essential Oil
Often used to support healthy digestion and alleviate digestive discomforts such as nausea, bloating, and indigestion.
- A key compound in ginger oil, called gingerol, effectively reduces inflammation in the body and improves absorption of the vitamins and minerals.
- Reduces sugar cravings.
- Eliminates flatulence and helps to clear bowels.
- Promotes sweating, which helps remove toxins from the body.
- Improves brain and memory function.
Peppermint Essential Oil
- A natural energizer that boosts energy levels, reduces fatigue and helps the mind to focus.
- It helps to curb your appetite and can help you to feel full faster.
- Improves the functioning of the digestive system and soothes upset stomach.
- Helps to manage stress.
- It is rich in omega 3 fatty acids, Vitamin C, iron, potassium, magnesium which are essential for the promotion of good health and for improving the metabolic processes of the body.
How to Use Essential Oils for Weight Loss
Essential oils can be used topically, inhaled, or ingested. Sometimes combinations of delivery methods are used.
Essential oils are extremely concentrated and must be added to a carrier oil such as coconut, sweet almond or olive oil. Start with small amounts and work your way up, especially if your mixing essential oils together.
They can be applied or massaged onto the skin, as the active chemicals in essential oils are absorbed into the blood stream. The essential oil should be massaged for at least 30 minutes directly where fat or cellulite accumulates. This will help the body to eliminate toxins and waste materials stored in fat cells. The essential oil can also be added to bath water and used as a body soak for at least 20 minutes.
When essential oils are inhaled the aromatic molecules travel through the nasal passage and chemically interact with the brain. They can change the mood, energy, and even appetite. Essential oils for weight loss work by suppressing the appetite or increasing the body’s rate of metabolism, or even a combination of both, since the part of brain that processes smell is the same that controls feelings of hunger and fullness.
Essential oils can be inhaled directly from the bottle, or by adding a few drops to a cotton ball or a fabric and slowly breathing in the vapors before a meal reduces appetite and helps to avoid overeating.
One or two drops of essential oil are added to about 6 oz of water, tea, salad dressing or a smoothie. It is best to drink it in the morning after waking up or before breakfast. This helps set the metabolism on the right track. There is also an amazing supplement I’ve been taking for months now called RADIATE IMMUNITY, which has 9 helpful and healthy essential oils, along with 9 all natural botanical extracts, which can help boost your metabolism, energy levels, and promote weight loss!
Check Out Radiate Immunity Here
Essential Oils Belly Rubbing Oil Recipe
3/4 cup of Fractionated Coconut Oil
(this is the most popular carrier oil for essential oils. Coconut oil, extracted from the fruit of the coconut tree, is full of natural antioxidants and is an antifungal, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory oil)
20 Drops of Grapefruit
20 Drops of Lemon
20 Drops of Ginger
20 Drops of Cinnamon
20 Drops of Peppermint
Blend and store in a glass jar or bottle. Shake well before using twice a day on stomach and other problem areas
Here’s What You Need To Know About Ingesting Essential Oils Properly
Fight Those Winter Blues: 10 Natural Solutions To Seasonal Depression
This Amazonian Herb is Arguably The Best Cardiovascular And Immune Aid (Plus, it’s anti-inflammatory)
Harvard Study Finds 45% Of Women Have Embarrassing Bladder Leakage. This is The Solution To Stop Bladder Leakage Today. Click To Read
About Half of Men Are at Risk for This Dangerous Condition After Age 50 — Here’s What You Can Do to Prevent It
Snoring Keeping You Or Your Partner Awake At Night? Sleep Apnea Too? You Don't Have To Suffer Any Longer. These 3 Simple Throat Exercises Fix Snoring & Sleep Apnea Like A Charm! Click To Get Your Sleep Back
Check The Back Of Your Vitamin C Supplement – Here’s How To Tell If it’s Fake & Dangerous
Fermented Foods Are 10x Better For Your Gut Health And Immunity Than Probiotic Pills - Click Here To Learn Why!
Turn Your Kitchen into A Probiotic Factory Churning Out Free Probiotics Daily! Here's How!