Ten-Year-Old Girl Dies After Attempting “Blackout Challenge” She Saw on Social Media

tiktok blackout challenge death

The rise of TikTok has given rise to a whole new generation of social media stars, challenges, and ideas, but the popular app is not always benign in nature.

Sometimes, the app can influence both kids and young adults alike to do potentially dangerous things that could spell plenty of trouble, and even cost someone their life.

Recently, a 10-year-old girl from Pennsylvania passed away after attempting to play a dangerous game she found on social media networks, and her story is just now making national news.

It all happened after she was found unconscious in her home on December 12 of this year after allegedly playing the game, which has been dubbed the “Blackout Challenge” and has become a cause for concern for parents across the country.

Ten-Year-Old Girl Dies After Allegedly Holding Her Breath for TikTok Game

The girl, 10-year-old Nyla Anderson, was found unconscious in her Chester, Pennsylvania home and taken to Nemours Children’s Hospital, but she did not survive.

Her mother Tawainna Anderson described the pain that she felt to WPVI Action News Philadelphia.

“I’m so hurt,” she said. “This is a pain that won’t go away. It’s at the top of my throat. I am so hurt.”

The game dares participants to hold their breath until they pass out from a lack of oxygen, according to WPVI.

It is also sometimes referred at as the “Choking Challenge” or “Passout Challenge,” and can be traced all the way back to 2008 when 82 youths died as a result of the game according to the CDC.

“You wouldn’t think 10-year-olds would try this,” Anderson said to the news station. “They’re trying because they’re kids and they don’t know better.”

Anderson described her daughter as a “happy child” who was incredibly smart and had a knack for learning languages — three of them to be exact.

Hospital Expert Warns: “Check Your Kids’ Phones

The incident happened while Nyla was in the bedroom of her own home according to Elizabeth Wood, a licensed clinical social worker at the local hospital who spoke with ABC7.

“She happened to be in her own bedroom of her house, with her family at home. But no one was in the bedroom with her when this happened, so there was no one there to save her.”

Wood urged parents to check their children’s phones and to stay vigilant in general to help keep them safe.

“Make sure you check your kids’ phones. You never know what you might find on their phones. You wouldn’t think 10-year-olds would try this. They’re trying because they’re kids and they don’t know better.”

A GoFundMe account has been set up to pay for the young girl’s funeral and had raised nearly $6,000 of its $10,000 goal as of Thursday afternoon.

The fundraiser was setup by user Alyssa Metz-Topodas, a Chester County resident who wrote the following in its description.

“Imagine planning for your precious daughter’s funeral right now on the heels of the holidays. Please help support this family as they move through an unfathomable loss.


tiktok challenge blackout death
The Anderson family. Photo via ABC6 Action News Philadelphia/Screen capture

“Nyla Anderson Asphyxiated herself, in her bedroom, while her family was home, by holding her breath during the challenge. An absolutely heartbreaking and devastating loss for this family.

“If we could come together as a community to help at least pay for the funeral, it would remove a slight burden from this suffering family.

“Thank you for any contribution you can make.”

The GoFundMe fundraiser account can be viewed or donated towards by clicking on this link.

You may also like...